Wednesday, April 30, 2008

30/4/08

With the training phase of my NS service nearing it's halfway mark (currently in the 8th week of 17 weeks), I think it is a good time as any to reflect on how I've been performing so far. On normal weekends this would prove quite an ordeal, with so many things I want to do in the 48 hours available. The luxury to do this is no doubt granted by the fever that I gotten on Monday. Even that, has thought me something; that if I choose to give something that I'm not able to give now, I may have to repay alot more. But of course, in those circumstances I didn't know, and hindsight is always 20/20.

Indeed, at the start of this training programme I was obsessed with giving my all at physical training, afraid to fall into the sweet lull that is characteristic with most of the rest of my life. Later I found out, that doing my best isn't about doing everything, but balancing out what I can give, and taking care of myself, because sometimes it's simply not possible to do everything that's demanded. A major milestone for me was passing my 2.4 and in result, my IPPT, which is something that I feared wouldn't happen even at the end of this training phase.

On the front of interaction with my squadmates, I thought it would be a problem from the start, since we all came from really different backgrounds. Communication started as laboured as I soon found that with my usual mode of conversation it was sometimes hard to be understood, or perhaps worse; easily misunderstood. I strove to get to know everyone's name, and by the end of 10 days I only left out 2 people. Gradually I eased out of my comfortable circle and got to know almost everyone better.

There's still many challenges and barriers before me, many tests to be passed, many more friends to be made, fats to be lost. But one thing's for sure; I can't seem to give up on oreo cookies. But take heart! Like all things else, I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment