Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Things are going pretty well now. Each new assignment I get is challenging as they are all different. Some more so, but even those with similarities have subtle differences that are easy to overlook and get careless over. Yet, I look forward to working on them. I think I'm at a very nice stage of my career where the full weight of the usual workload has not been dumped onto our shoulders... yet; I have time to explore, to make mistakes, to ask questions. If anything, I'd like to take on as much challenging work as I can now, when I can still make the excuse of being too fresh if I make mistakes. Better than doing it next time, when I may have to justify the experience that I got; which would instead impede me from moving forward and growing.

Looking back, I'm almost embarrassed at my previous 2 posts, on the verge of deleting them. They make me look bad and whiny. But it's a reminder of how fickle human emotions are. Memories don't last, experiences keep evolving. And above all, a reminder of God's faithfulness. I like my manager a lot, she's really patient and fair in her work. I wonder when I reach her stage if I could be as patient as her. Maybe I'd be a stuck-up jackass who things a world of myself and refuse to look out for those under me. I'm thankful to all my other colleagues too who take the time to answer questions that I feel are silly as soon as they leave my mouth.

If I were to state where would I like to be in X number of years... of course, it would be fashionable to be all high-achieving and say I would like to make manager/director/partner. To be honest, I always expect a lot of myself. In fact, I expect to achieve things that I don't even feel I deserve. Only by God's grace I have achieved what I have today. But moving forward, I decide that that should not underpin my direction. Instead of saying I would like X position in Y number of years, I just want to learn as much as I can; with all the variety of knowledge that the diverse companies can teach me, and to learn how to cope, and excel with the other associated things expected of us as professionals such as managing workflow and finding favour with our clients.

Money, of course is always nice, so is position and being beyond my peers. But at every point, I want to be somewhere where I have grown sufficiently to belong. I don't want to take shortcuts. If I have to wait, I pray for the patience and grace to. If I am to move on, I pray for humility and prudence.

No comments:

Post a Comment